The purpose of this interdisciplinary programme is to investigate connections between various fields of theoretical physics, in particular string theory and statistical models of crystals, and the theory of automorphic forms, mock modular forms and beyond. The non-perturbative structure of string theory has led to new uses of automorphic forms that have already appeared in number theory, as well as new exotic automorphic objects that have not yet been encountered.
The core themes of the program are:
- String amplitudes and automorphic representations
- Modular graph functions and multiple zeta values
- Mock modular forms, moonshine and black holes
- Metaplectic Eisenstein series and quantum groups
- Automorphic forms on Kac-Moody groups