I'm Peter Ballett and I work as a researcher in Particle Physics at Durham University.
My research interests broadly lie in particle physics phenomenology and neutrino physics, with connections to flavour physics and model building. I have a particular interest in the phenomenology of neutrino oscillation experiments and their potential for exploring the lepton sector of the SM and beyond (especially anything related to CP violation, leptonic flavour or neutrino mass mechanisms). However, I find that I am interested in most topics in the neutrino sector, adjacent areas and beyond; so please get in touch if you want to discuss anything!
For the 2015/2016 academic year, I will be giving lectures on Quantum Electrodynamics for those studying for an MSc in Particle Theory and on Quantum Theory as part of the third year undergraduate Theoretical Physics 3 module.
I have worked on a number of projects related to neutrino oscillation physics, flavour symmetries in the leptonic sector, and the intersection of these two things. Recently, I studied the correlations which can arise from residual symmetries of the group A5 in the presence of a generalised form of CP invariance:
I have also studied more general classes of correlations between mixing parameters (so-called 'sum rules') which can be derived under quite general settings in models of discrete symmetries. These offer a nice way to test (a large chunk of) the paradigm of discrete flavour symmetries at upcoming experiments:
Around 2013, I worked as a member of the LAGUNA-LBNO collaboration. I was part of the Physics Task Force which developed and ran the simulations studying the long-baseline physics potential of the design. This work was then built on the following year to perform an analysis of an optimised design, as well as the potential of a dual-baseline facility:
I have also worked on the optimisation of design of the Low-Energy Neutrino Factory, a variant of the standard Neutrino Factory ideal for larger values of theta13:
Conference presentations & seminars
I have presented my work at the following events:
- Invisibles Workshop 2015 at UAM in Madrid, June 2015.
- 11th LAGUNA-LBNO General Meeting at CERN, May 2014. Click here for slides.
- NuPhys 2013 at the IOP in London, December 2013. This was a poster presentation.
- Invisibles 13 School at the IPPP in Durham, July 2013.
- 7th LAGUNA-LBNO General Meeting at CERN, June 2013. Click here for slides.
- Astroparticle seminar: II. Institut für Theoretische Physik, Universität Hamburg, May 2013.
- IDS-NF 10 at the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, April 2013. Click here for slides.
- IPPP Internal Seminar in Durham, January 2013. Click here for slides.
- 8th UK Neutrino Network Meeting at the IPPP in Durham, December 2012.
- 4th EUROnu Plenary Meeting at APC in Paris, June 2012.
- IDS-NF 8 at the University of Glasgow, April 2012.
- Invisibles ITN pre-meeting at UAM in Madrid, March 2012.
- Lepton-Photon '11 at TIFR in Mumbai, August 2011. This was a poster presentation.
- NuFact '11 at CERN/UNIGE in Geneva, August 2011.
- IoP NPPD 2011 at the University of Glasgow, April 2011.